The University of Cambridge English language assessment offers the world’s widest range of examinations and certifications for English students from all schools worldwide.
A good knowledge of English, certified by a diploma, allows students to get the best start in life by providing educational as well as professional opportunities and an attractive life in their home country or abroad. This is precisely what the Cape Town French School wishes for its learners.
Cambridge English for schools’ examinations are intended for primary and secondary schools, which then benefit from broad support in terms of learning, teaching and assessment of English levels.
The Cape Town French School considers that sitting Cambridge exams has a double advantage: it offers an internationally recognised certification in English for those of our learners whose English is not their mother tongue, and it allows our English-speaking learners to know their official English level as early as Grade 5.
Why the choice of Cambridge English Language Assessment for our school?
◦ It is internationally recognized by over 20,000 universities, employers and governments around the world
◦ The exams are widely accepted as being of a very high standard
◦ It provides proof of language ability
◦ Its standards meet those of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR),
◦ It helps learners to improve their speaking, writing, reading and listening skills step-by-step
◦ It provides continuous progression of exams starting at school level and continuing into tertiary studies and business
Why start the Cambridge English Programme in Primary School?
◦ It facilitates learning – designed for 5-11 year olds; accompanied by material to support the areas being covered and the skills being developed
◦ It lays the foundation for further study – prepares students for progression onto Cambridge exams for high school and beyond; helps identify students’ strengths and weaknesses
◦ It is flexible – no part of the programme is compulsory and the school is free to choose the part that is best suited to their situation
Why continue studying the Cambridge English Programme in High School?
It provides qualifications in steady progression – students are prepared for exams that become increasingly more advanced; starting with the First Certificate in English (FCE) and followed by Cambridge English Advanced (CAE); the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is taken in the students’ final year. These certifications will allow them to attend the universities of their choice, be it in South Africa or abroad.
At the Lycée Français du Cap, we offer various certifications during the school years of our students:
- In grade 5: the Key Cambridge English test (European level a2),http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/young-learners-english/
- At the end of grade 11 or during grade 12: the “First Certificate in English” (FCE) http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/first/ or the “Certificate in Advanced English” (CAE) http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/advanced/
- Finally and according to the level of the students: IELTS http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/ielts/.
For more information, please visit the Cambridge English website http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/
The Cambridge exams stand out from other tests due to its international credibility and lifelong validity that equip a student to a certain level, whether in primary or secondary education.
By passing the Cambridge certification, our students will obtain a diploma that is recognized worldwide, and the opportunity to have a truly international future to look forward to.