Cycle II: CP, CE1 and CE2 (Grades 1 to 3)
In Cycle II, children consolidate their knowledge by learning to read and write, discovering the world and becoming familiar with mathematics. They will also have their first projects in science and history to awaken them to the world around them.
Cycle II is structured around six key areas:
- French language proficiency: dialogue, learning to read and write
- Mathematics: discovery of numbers, calculations, basic geometry, measurements and dimensions
- Foreign Languages-Cambridge International Primary Programme + EMILE
- Physical and Sports Education
- Artistic education: drawing, singing, visual arts, handicrafts
- Questioning the world/ Moral and Civic Education
The core programme is complemented by two hours of English lessons from the Cambridge International Primary Years Programme, in addition to ‘EMILE’ or CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) lessons. Students who join the Lycée Français du Cap during the year will be placed in groups according to their level of English: beginner, intermediate, advanced.
In cycles II and III, only children who already speak French can join the Lycée Français du Cap. Children arriving from another French school, from France or from the AEFE network, are not tested upon arrival at the Lycée Français du Cap. However, students arriving from another school system must take entrance tests so that they can be assigned to the class that best corresponds to their level of French.
The official curriculum of the French Ministry of Education for Cycle II can be found here. (in french)