Cycle II: CP, CE1 and CE2 (Grades 1 to 3)
In Cycle II, children consolidate their knowledge by learning how to read and write, by discovering the world, and by familiarising themselves with Mathematics. They will also have their first projects in Science and History in order to awaken them to the world around them.
Cycle II is organised around seven key areas:
- Mastery of the French language: dialogue, learning how to read and write
- Living Together: learning the rules of life, discipline
- Mathematics: discovering numbers, calculations, basic geometry, measurements, and dimensions
- Discovering the World
- Foreign languages - Cambridge International Primary Program
- Arts: drawing, singing, visual arts, crafts
- Physical Education and Sports
The core curriculum is complemented by seven hours of English classes from the Cambridge International Primary Program. Learners joining the Cape Town French School during the course of the year will be placed into groups according to their level of English: beginner, intermediate, advanced.
In Cycle II and III, only children who already speak French can join the Cape Town French School. Children arriving from another French school, from France or from the AEFE network, are not subject to testing upon arrival at the Cape Town French School. However, students arriving from another school system must complete entrance tests so that they can be assigned to the class that best corresponds to their level of French.
The official curriculum of the French Ministry of Education for Cycle II can be found here. (in french)